The Biokat’s sustainability concept.
For more than 30 years, Biokat’s has been synonymous with premium cat litter. Since then, we’ve become the market leader in Germany, Italy and the Netherlands. Biokat’s also stands for 100%-natural cat hygiene and clean comfort. No other cat litter brand absorbs odours more effectively, or is as environmentally sound as us.
What’s special about the sustainability concept of Biokat’s?
- We have our own cogeneration plant at our site in Kelheim, which guarantees continued energy savings.
- In 2011 the carbon-footprint association calculated the CO2 emission level of the Biokat’s production plant in Kelheim. The results: Our energy value is exemplary.
- In 2012 we received the ECOCARE AWARD for our sustainability concept.
- In 2017 Reclay GmbH re-calculated the CO2 energy value of the Biokat’s production in Kelheim. Once again, the results were exemplary, and they have even partly improved since 2011.
- We received the “German Award for Excellence 2018” for this, a renowned sustainability prize, in the “Carbon Footprint” category.
- Biokat’s cat litters are produced in Germany. This means short transport routes and a low level of CO2 emissions on the way from the pit to the production plant.
- We almost exclusively use high-quality German raw clay. This is how Biokat’s guarantees German quality products. Furthermore, this ensures jobs in Germany.
- The pits that are opened by Biokat's for clay mining are re-cultivated and re-natured after they have been completely depleted. This creates valuable new ecological habitats. During the entire excavation process, geologists continually monitor the pits. In this way, they ensure that the natural equilibrium is maintained.
- Technical innovations in our production help Biokat’s to systematically reduce its internal energy costs. Our energy consumption has halved since 1991.
Here’s what we do for sustainability
This heat flows into our drying plant so that no energy is wasted. All in all, we therefore operate a highly efficient system with an overall efficiency rate of 95.8%.
One of our other goals is to use at least 80% LED lamps throughout the company by 2020.
We are also gradually expanding our fleet to include electric forklifts.
Biokat’s has its own cogeneration plant at our production location for cat litter in Kelheim, Bavaria. This plant is operated with natural gas and generates 400 kW of electrical power. Using the resulting power, we are able to cover approx. 70% of our own requirements. We even partially feed some of the surplus power back into the grid. The exhaust heat and the cooling power of the cogeneration plant amount to approx. 510 kW.
Made in Germany
The natural clay that we use for Biokat’s is almost exclusively sourced from Germany. This is primarily extracted in Bavaria. It means short delivery routes to our production grounds in Kelheim, Bavaria, saving the environment from unnecessary damage.
We have received an award and certification for this
German Award for Excellence
At the end of 2017 Reclay GmbH re-calculated the CO2 energy value of our Biokat’s production in Kelheim. Once again, the results were exemplary, and we were even able to improve on these. We received the ’German Award for Excellence 2018’ for this, a renowned sustainability prize in the ‘Carbon Footprint’ category.
In 2011 the carbon-footprint association calculated the CO2 emission level of the Biokat’s cat litter production plant in Kelheim and confirmed it as exemplary. In 2012 Biokat’s also received the ECOCARE Award, certifying it as a sustainable brand.
Our sustainable production
We prove our commitment to nature and the environment with our energy management system, among other things. This has been certified according to DIN EN ISO 50.001 by DEKRA Certification GmbH since 2015.